Thursday, April 26, 2012

Digging Below the Surface to "Why"


I've decided to take a break from the statistics and engage more in the heart and mind behind many of the problems regarding our treatment of the earth.  The choices we make concerning consuming and disposing are not simply "what"--that is, what we do--but behind the "what" is always a "why"--why I chose to buy something, throw something away.  I don't know how many times in my life I grabbed a candy bar in the check-out line at a store simply because it was there, it tastes good, and I have the money to buy it.  I know that I own many t-shirts I do not need.  But if I continue on this trail, I would find that I technically could survive on so little that it's hard to even imagine, and I do not need to resist good gifts like laptops, laundry machines, a college education, and the list goes on.  I believe the heart lies even behind these things to the way I value and use all these gifts.  Here's the tricky part: my benefit to others and to the earth comes from a selfless view of my life, and my harm to others and the earth comes when I indulge my gifts too much simply because I want to and I can.  I say that's tricky because I do not wake up in the morning excited to sacrifice things I want for the benefit others, and why would I?  Well, I have to believe that a desire to value the earth (and thus, those living on it) must come from some view bigger than that in and of itself, because I only see three conclusions for the person who gives their life to helping the earth just for the sake of helping the earth:
1. They worship the earth to the extent of making it a god--because a person only gives their life to something if they believe that thing is worthy of their life and time and effort.
2. They begin doing all their work for the sake of other people seeing all the "good work" they have done, making their motivation actually the exaltation of themselves (not the earth).
3. They get discouraged because no matter how hard people work, we cannot stop the slow decay of the earth--only slow it down, just like the human life.  We can supplement our bodies with vitamins, make unbelievable medical discoveries, discourage harm from one human to another, live in a safe community, eat healthy food, exercise daily and wash our hands all the time, but the death rate for human beings since the beginning of history still remains 100%.
Often times the realization of #3 can crush the dreams of the people working for #1 because no one wants to worship (work for, give value to) something that will inevitably fail.  So, I challenge whoever you are to check your motives--because it is a good desire to help the earth and those living in it, so why then do I buy a candy bar simply because I have the means and want it (because I sure don't need it).  That money could go toward helping another.  We have an intrinsic desire to serve ourself, but also the conscience to know that serving others is a good thing.  I would have no reason to believe that unless I had a connection to everyone else, more than a surface level similarity.  I challenge you to consider a singular Creator, giving a greater purpose for good treatment of the earth and others--but that subject, also, is hardly scratching the surface (and not meant for this blog).  But, regardless of all this talk, do not disregard analyzing the "why" behind your consuming and spending.


1 comment:

  1. I have just read this blog aloud to a member of the English dept. and we were stunned by the sophistication and elegance of this post. A stunning and inspiring job .. i hope that everyone reads this .. not just at Elon but abroad in the world.

    ReplyDelete