Friday, April 13, 2012

Too Much Stuff

So here's the thing, I don't really like to shop. I last around 30 minutes and then I get cranky and who ever I'm with practically has to pick out clothes for me and force me to try them on. I only go clothes shopping a few times a year when I actually need clothes, and my wardrobe is probably far less elaborate than the majority of students at Elon, although compared with the rest of the country and the world I am spoiled beyond measure. So as someone who doesn't shop that often I must not buy into the world of consumerism or have that much stuff, right?

Wrong. I have SO MUCH STUFF. I have an entire closet and dresser at my house overflowing with clothes that I haven't worn in years or have never worn at all. I used to get get boxes of hand-me-downs from cousins every few months that I never wore and they are still sitting in my house. The basement is still filled with toys and gadgets from when my brother and I were younger. My family was never one to skimp on the Christmas gifts. Every year the family room would be filled with the latest and greatest toys that we just HAD to have wrapped in colorful wrapping paper and ribbons that were put right into a garbage bag after being torn from the gifts. Most of those gifts are probably still in our house.

Before beginning this blog, the only guilt I would feel about all this old stuff still in my house would be about how I'm too lazy get rid of it all. Now, I realize that this problem can't be solved by donating it all to the Good Will and feeling good about not clogging a landfill. Because, truth be told, who ever buys it from the Good Will will eventually end up in the same situation and the "stuff" will end up in a landfill sooner or later.

The problem has begun with our lifestyle of consumption. I was never the kid who begged for toys and never seemed to have enough, but I was also never the one to refuse something even if I knew I didn't really need it. I never spoke up and said, "Dad, we don't really need another Rokenbok truck." (Click here if you've never heard of these toys, they are seriously addicting and we had an entire city in our basement.) If there is one thing I have learned since examining the world of consumerism, it is that even though we cannot personally change the lifestyle of every person in this world, we can start with ourselves. So the next time you go shopping or are giving out suggestions for your next birthday present, ask yourself, have I been able to get along so far without this item?, or, one year or even 6 months from now will I even be able to locate this item in my house?

1 comment:

  1. This is a GREAT post. I would now challenge you to "consume" memories. By that I mean is there something you can do that you will remember such as a spectacular walk, planting a tree, watching the sun come up with your best college buddies .. we have focused so much of our lives on things that we forget the other
    stuff.

    ReplyDelete